Monday, August 10, 2009

The Invitation Quandary

Getting my gorgeous, absolutely perfect invitations (that I had been dreaming about for the last 3 years) vs our budget, was a tricky one. Stationery is my obsession, I love it! and you can never have too much of it in my opinion. The thought of sacrificing my perfect invitations, for the big bad budget man was not something that was happening without a fight, the cake would go first!

So to recap what invitations did I want… chocolate brown textured pockets with 4 inserts & the main invitation panel (all on crème card stock with a sage backing page).

Around the outside of the pocket envelope I was going to wrap a band of textured paper (in a natural shade) and have a split wine cork with twisted copper around it as the centre piece.

To keep them safe I was going to put them in boxes with paper wood shavings. They were going to be gorgeous only problem ….. COST.

A while back I realised that if I was going to pull off two jobs, two weddings & planning an international holiday for our guests, certain things were going to have to go, especially as I don’t have an army of BM’s or helpers in the wings, DIY absolutely every project was out.

So we bit the bullet and got several quotes………….. the best of which came back at $38.45 per invitation !! before postage, so added to this was $5.60 per invite to post, plus 0.55 for the RSVP ……… ahhhhh $44.60 per invite x 100 is definitely NOT in our budget.

So with no choice but to find a cheaper option, I cut the cost per invite in half with 3 things:

1) Doing this project myself was essential
 
2) Invitations had to be mailed in envelopes & not boxes (which reduced the postage cost from a total of $615 to $165.
 
3) The cork & copper wire idea was out and I was planning on just sticking our monogram sticker over the front fold, to keep them closed. Although disappointed I had already had saved over ½ the cost from the best quote.
 
So now I need to collect the supplies:
* Chocolate pocket fold envelopes
* Crème card Stock
* Sage backing card stock
* A7 Envelopes
* C6 envelopes (for the RSVP)
* Ribbon
 
Depending on how much the materials cost, hopefully I will be able to add some sparkle & extra bling.

No comments: