Saturday, March 21, 2009

Wedding Flowers, Colors & Meanings

I adore flowers! Some of my earliest childhood memories are of the flowers in my grandparent’s garden. As much as I hate to admit it I am truly a romantic girly girl who falls for the beautiful colours & perfume smell ever time.


One of the best things about having two ceremonies will be choosing a second bridal bouquet. I can’t wait to see my Disney bouquet; I know it will be amazing.

Apart from seasonality, availability, color and cost, many brides, myself included, are fascinated to learn the meanings of their flower choice. For centuries flowers have played an important role in our history & mythology, infused with symbolism and meaning that continues today.

Over the years I have come to learn some of my favorite & the more popular flower & color meanings, but I was surprised to learn that their significance can change once two flowers were entwined together.


Some of my favorite flowers and greenery and their meanings are:

Apple Blossom - Better things to come
Bells - Are closely linked to the realm of fairies & also referred to as "fairy thimbles”, they represent humility, constancy and gratitude.
Camelia - Gratitude
Carnation - Fascination and love
Chrysanthemum - Red - I love you
Chrysanthemum - White - Truth
Daffodil - Regard
Daisy - Innocence
Fern - Fascination and sincerity
Flowering Almond - Hope
Forget-me-not - True love and remembrance
Honeysuckle - Generosity
Hyacinth - Loveliness
Hydrangea - Boastfulness
Iris - Warmth of affection
Ivy - Eternal fidelity
Jasmine - Amiability
Lemon Blossom - Fidelity in love
Lily - Majesty
Lily-of-the-valley - Return of happiness
Lisianthus - appreciation and an outgoing nature
Magnolia - Perseverance
Mimosa - Sensitivity
Rose (red) - Love
Rose (yellow) - Friendship
Rose (coral) - Desire
Rose (peach) - Modesty
Rose (dark pink) - Thankfulness
Rose (pale pink) - Grace
Rose (orange) - Fascination
Rose (white) - Innocence
Sweet Pea - Delicate pleasures
Tulip - Love
Veronica - Fidelity
Violet - Faithfulness

For the superstitious, there are flowers said to be best avoid, however flowers come with as many & varied meaning as they have petals, and I personally place no value in that at all.

It’s so much fun looking through pages of different bouquet flowers, styles and colors, but it hasn’t help me narrow down what flowers I would like in either bouquet or what flowers we want for the bridal party, ceremony or reception. Our floral plan just moved to the top of my ‘must do’ list for this week!

No comments: